We are fighters
who will do everything we can to protect your rights and your future.

The attorneys of Daniels & Rothman, P.C.
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » 
  5. Child Custody & Visitation
  6.  » Relocation


In today’s mobile age, it’s common for parents to move across the state or even across the country. Job changes, family considerations, health concerns and any number of factors may influence the decision to move.

When a child custody arrangement is in place, however, the situation becomes more complicated. One parent can’t simply pick up and move with the kids.

What’s Required For A Move

Whenever one parent seeks to move, they must give the other parent at least 30 days’ notice of the proposed relocation. The custody order might impose additional limitations. What’s more, even if you reach an agreement regarding the move, court approval may still be required if the move results in changes in the custody arrangement.

Contested Cases

What happens if one parent opposes the move? Disagreements are common — especially when one parent is moving out of Georgia. In these situations, the parent seeking to move must request a custody modification. The court will make a decision based on the best interests of the children. It will take a close look at the existing custody arrangement and the effect a proposed move would have on the children. Their wishes may also factor into the determination if they are at least 11 years old.

The Importance Of Legal Guidance

As you can see, parental relocation can be complex. Whether you’re hoping to move or the other parent is seeking to move, it’s vitally important to have a lawyer review your situation.

At Daniels & Rothman, P.C., you’ll find an experienced legal team dedicated to protecting your interests. Our lead family law attorney, Gregory Daniels, has practiced in the Athens area for nearly 25 years. He will work closely with you to determine a course of action geared toward your unique situation and goals.

We invite you to get in touch by calling 706-621-5166. Your initial consultation is free of charge.