Providing Strategic Counsel For All Your Family Law Matters
When people come to Daniels & Rothman for our family law services, they are usually going through one of the worst periods of their lives. They may face a range of issues, including divorce, child custody, child support or domestic violence. We know these matters are highly personal and extremely stressful. We also know that there is a lot at stake. The good news is, our lawyers can help you find a resolution.
Our founding partner, Gregory A. Daniels, handles all family law cases, practicing in this area exclusively. Drawing on nearly 30 years of legal experience, he leads our family law team. As our client, you benefit from his expansive understanding of Georgia’s family law statutes and its legal processes. When your family’s future, your assets and your relationship with loved ones are on the line, you need to work with an attorney who devotes all of his focus to resolving family law disputes.
We Are Here To Support And Protect You
At our Georgia law firm, we will take a two-pronged approach to your legal matter. The first is to aggressively protect your rights. Attorney Gregory Daniels is widely known for his proactive representation and his willingness to use all legal means necessary to get the results his clients need. Mr. Daniels is not a wait-and-see type of lawyer. He takes immediate and consistent action for his clients to stay ahead of the opposition in their cases.
The second part of our services addresses the human side of your matter. We understand that the outcome of your case will affect your future, your children and your well-being. Our lawyers will do everything in their power to help you weather the storm. We work hard to create an environment where you feel comfortable talking about these sensitive issues. Our entire legal staff is here to support you during the process. We are always happy to take your calls, respond to emails or arrange in-person meetings when you need it.
Regardless of the family law issues you face, we can help. Our services include:
- Handling all matters related to divorce and separation, including planning for divorce, securing temporary orders, division of assets, division of debt and alimony.
- Resolving child custody disputes between unmarried parents or parents pursuing divorce or separation. We also represent clients seeking visitation rights. Our team is well-versed in post-judgment matters, qualified to advocate for you in custody modification or enforcement proceedings.
- Negotiating fair child support terms during a separation or divorce. Should out-of-court negotiations fall through, we are ready to defend your interests in court. We are also equipped to petition for support modifications if your financial circumstances change substantially.
- Protecting mothers’ and fathers’ rights through paternity and legitimation proceedings. Whether you are seeking parenting rights or full child support, our team will tirelessly advocate for your case. We will help you navigate all aspects of this process, helping you complete and file the necessary paperwork with the appropriate agency.
- Representing clients in contempt and enforcement actions to hold all parties accountable. If your former spouse or your child’s parent refuses to follow a court order, we will aggressively challenge that person in court.
- Advocating for clients struggling with domestic violence issues. We stand up for victims of domestic abuse and defend against false allegations of domestic violence. We will handle this sensitive family matter with the discretion and urgency it deserves, securing protective orders when necessary.
Frequently Asked Questions With Answers
We look forward to sharing insights with you as you let us know what is on your mind. We are ready to personalize answers to questions you may have such as those below.
How should I prepare for my family law case?
Once you suspect that a divorce is on the way, divorce planning should include creating an inventory of all known assets belonging to you and/or your spouse. List life insurance policies, property deeds, bank accounts, 401(k) and other retirement accounts, as well as tangible possessions such as vehicles, jewelry and collectibles. Get ready for settlement negotiations by considering what your priorities are and gathering documentation that will support your arguments.
If a child custody case is coming up, you can prepare by documenting your parental involvement. Log your interactions with your child and your contributions to their care and nurturing. Include in your records the doctors’ appointments, parent-teacher conferences, attendance at extracurricular activities and other parenting responsibilities that you fulfill.
Can I handle my family law case myself or do I need an attorney?
If you plan to attempt a do-it-yourself (DIY) divorce or child support modification petition, you should realize that many people who do so make mistakes. DIY errors can be more expensive to correct than what consistent counsel would cost from the start. If an experienced attorney handles your case, you will have the reassurance that no steps are being overlooked. Your involvement will, of course, still be critically important if you hope to influence the outcome.
Which court handles family law matters near me?
The Athens-Clarke County Superior Court at 325 East Washington Street, Athens, Georgia, handles family law cases for most of our clients. However, as our client, you may not need to go to court. Depending on the type of family dispute or legal issue you are facing and which specific family law papers you need, you may be able to obtain and complete the necessary forms from the clerk of courts. Even if you hope to do most of the work yourself, legal guidance can be beneficial. Our lawyers can help you navigate the legal processes while customizing the degree of legal representation that is just right for you.
Contact Our Athens Family Law Attorneys
Choosing a family law attorney is a personal decision, and we want you to feel comfortable with it. We invite you to contact our firm at 706-621-5166 and arrange a free consultation. We will listen to your story and provide initial thoughts on how to move forward.